Sunday, 13 April 2014

natural colours workshop with Claire Wellesley-Smith from Clarabella

















.
a few weeks back I attended a workshop with Claire from clarabella and learnt about how to dye cloths with natural ingredients. We used, madder, red onion skins, chamomile, indigo, logwood, and walnut. We also learnt about mordant, its effect and how to make different recipes for different fabrics.
.
I am undecided as to which dye was my favourite and which sample that I produced I like the best but I did become rather taken with indigo dipping; very satisfying.
.
Over the next few weeks I will be sorting through my samples and making something out of them so more to follow on this excellent workshop that I went to held by Clarabella on natural colours.
.
Thank you for an excellent day Claire and lovely to meet you after following you online for so long,
links to Claire here;

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful. I wish there were workshops and activities like this nearby where I live. I would love to learn and try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can a go yourself using some tutorials online and then start your own class x

      Delete
  2. That sounds like so much fun Helen. Last year Joanne from Rhubarb in the Garden grew some indigo and did some dyeing with it. I remember she offered some seeds to interested growers and I would have so wanted some but couldn't from the UK to Canada where I was. Darn. I usually use onion skins to dye Easter eggs but never thought about cloth. Think I might give that a try too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds & looks very interesting helen!
    i hope you will show what you will create!
    wish you a happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, something for the baby i think x

      Delete
  4. I took a couple of classes with Claire when I was getting back into natural dyeing again after abandoning the practice for some years. I'm back in the flow now and hoping to be back to teaching soon myself, I just hope I can be half as good a tutor as Claire. Colour from plants, it's like alchemy, and totally irresistible ... have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is great isn't she, very calming presence, I enjoyed the class and enjoyed meeting claire as well. Oh let me know when you are doing a class x x

      Delete

thank you for taking the time to leave a comment and peek at what interests and inspires me, it is a pleasure to read what you write and I shall always reply directly here to what you say or ask ...

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain